Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Around the World in 80 Books - The Asian Leg!

I have been slacking on my reading for a really long time now (over six months!) and this has left me all the more agitated. Having my hands full isn't really an excuse, since I do nothing except watch South Park in my spare hours (Yes Ladies and Gents, I watch a cartoon!) . In order to rid myself of this nasty habit, I have decided to resume reading and that too with a new challenge. I may not have any of the daredevilry or ingenuity of Phileas Fogg, yet I presume that I can read my way around the world in a year. So, here is the list of books I shall take up for this challenge, in the first leg:

S.No. Book Author Country
1. The Patience Stone Atiq Rahimi Afghanistan
2. Bullets and Trains Adeerus Ghayan Pakistan
3. Pax Indica: India and the World in the 21st Century Shashi Tharoor India
4. The Lives We Have Lost: Essays and opinions on Nepal Manjushree Thapa Nepal
5. Chinaman: The Legend of Pradeep Mathew Shehan Karunatilaka Sri Lanka
6. The Rainbow Troops: A Novel Andrea Hirata Indonesia
7. The Sorrow of War: A Novel of North Vietnam Bao Ninh Vietnam
8. Waiting Ha Jin China
9. Kafka On the Shore Haruki Murakami Japan
10. The Railway Hamid Ismailov Uzbekistan
11. When My Name Was Keoko Linda Sue Park South Korea
12. Throwing Sparks Abdo Khal Saudi Arabia
13. My Name is Red Orhan Pamuk Turkey


The two criteria that I used to make the selection were the nationality of the author and the subject matter of the book. Coincidence of both these criteria allowed me to select the above books from my to-read list.


My literary sojourn spanning thirteen countries (in the first phase) starts tomorrow. So, when do you begin yours?


Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Smile away , cuz the world is worth it!